What are the medication and diet for thyroid in pregnancy ?

Good Morning my name is XXXXXXX I am 8 week 1/2 pregnant and the doctor mentioned to me I have thyroids gave me medication what type of food can I eat or avoid
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 38 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

Firstly very important is that vegetables like cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts, mustard greens, XXXXXXX spinach, peaches, pears, strawberries, radishes and millet as these fruits, veggies, greens and grains are no to be eaten they tend to add up to the problem.

Also avoid meats that are high in fat like mutton, beef, pork etc-but not all meats are bad for you.Fish is the best food for hyperthyroid in pregnancy and its liveroils are very essential for the development of brain in the fetus as they do contain omega fatty acids.

Your diet should include natural foods, whole grains, lots of fruits and vegetables and a good supply of seafood and other lean protein.

Selenium may be the most important nutrient in a diet for hypothyroid. This trace mineral is an antioxidant and is essential for converting the thyroid hormone your body produces, T4, into its active form, T3. Brazil nuts are an incredibly good source of selenium, but you can also get it from some lean meats XXXXXXX chicken , egg etc.

Consume whole grains, also known as complex carbohydrates, over refined grains (things made with white flour or sugar). They’re better for you, help maintain your blood sugar stable and will make you feel fuller. As the fluctuations in blood sugars are expected in hypothyroidism.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: What are the medication and diet for thyroid in pregnancy ? 54 minutes later
is there a special diet I have to get on because am pregnant and I dont want any harm for my Baby
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 11 minutes later
Hi again,

Thanks for following me up ,

Need not worry ,I have not mentioned foods which are taboo in pregnancy.

I did advice considering the pregnancy as priority.You can go ahead with above.

Wish you Good health.