What are the harms of severe anemia and low red blood counts?

I just needed to know base on my blood tests results, what most likely the health issues I'm having?
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Moderately severe anemia Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Thanks for the query. I have reviewed the results you have provided. The most significant abnormality is that of moderately severe anemia, or low red blood counts; your value is 5.7 and the normal value for a male of your age should be around 13; this could certainly account for chest discomfort and shortness of breath, since this value indicates how much oxygen your blood can carry. The ECG looks fairly unremarkable. I would kindly advise you tol follow as soon as possible with a physician; you can start off with a general internist, who will likely order more tests to figure out where the anemia is coming from; you may need a transfusion and iron supplementation, but for sure, more testing is needed. Hope that is useful, wish you the best, Dr. Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic Cardiology
Follow-up: What are the harms of severe anemia and low red blood counts? 18 minutes later
Hi Dr. Salazar, Appreciated your quick replay. Should I concern about the LDH and a-HBDH ratio? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Part of the complex Detailed Answer: Thanks for the follow up and bringing this very important detail to my attention; it may be part of the clinical picture; LDH is a general enzyme that can be elevated when there is increased destruction of red blood cells, which in turn can be a cause of anemia. The ratio is a reflection of elevated LDH. This is helpful, as it can further narrow the differential diagnoses and the tests that your doctor will need to order (eg. haptoglobin, peripheral smear, serologies, etc). Yours truly