What are the findings from the thyroid ultrasound report?

Question
ILL DEFINED HYPOECHOIC AREAS IN RIGHT LOBE OF THYROID WITH DIFFUSELY HETEROGENOUS ECHOTEXTURE OF LEFT LOBE.TIRADS 3.FEW SUBCENTRIMETRIC CERVICAL NODES.
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Probably Benign Thyroid Carcinoma. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your Ultrasound report of Thyroid. Report suggests that there is carcinoma in the right lobe of Thyroid. As it has mentioned TIRADS 3, It means that cancer is probably benign in nature. There is history of Non-Hodgkin lymphoma with complete remission, I would suggest you to discuss about the biopsy of thyroid with your treating doctor. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: What are the findings from the thyroid ultrasound report? 10 hours later
I have completed chemo in XXXXXXX 2012.after 4 cycles of chemo there is a complete remission.as a yearly check up pet followed by ultrasound conducted in XXXXXXX 10th 2013 shows ths report as I mentioned earlier.my blood cbc is normal.tsh is 5.56 t3 is 5.40 t4 16.22.very confusing what is benign carcinoma???how cme carcinoma and benign together???I m confused!!! Sorry..I think its total confusing.I have ended my chemo in XXXXXXX 2012.pet scan after 4 cycles of chemo shows complete remission.now as a yearly follow up made a pet ct followed by usg..usg report has been given.pl explain me.how come benign carcinoma???both together??? My t3 is 5.40 t4 16.22 tsh 5.56 ..wht does it indicate

Brief Answer: Non Hodgkin Lymphoma may recur Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query. First of all i make myself clear. If the PET scan and USG are done one year back, then new Scan and USG should be done now. If both of these are done this month only then i will explain you: You haven't mentioned about PET scan report, so i assume it to be fine. Now coming to your USG report: Lesion shown in report is suggestive of benign thyroid carcinoma(need to be confirmed) as per TIRADS classification. But cervical nodes are also seen in it. Now coming to your queries. Benign carcinoma is a harmless cancer, it only cause problem to the organ in which it is present. Cause of it may be previous NHL or something else. Your previous Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma (NHL) had complete remission. But there are chances that it can recur. Your thyroid profile is a bit higher and it indicates a overactive thyroid. At this stage it is difficult to diagnose your condition. I would suggest you some more investigations like USG guided FNAC of Cervical nodes to see if lesion is XXXXXXX USG guided FNAC of thyroid to see if there is recurrence of NHL. Hope i answered your query. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.

Follow-up: What are the findings from the thyroid ultrasound report? 42 minutes later
Few ill defined hypoecchoic areas are seen in the right lobe measuring 0.6 x0.6 cm .left lobe of thyroid also shows heterogenous echo texture..since my tsh is high..is it related to this.my pet scan has revealed fdg uptake very less..that's why ultrasound.the lesion is too small for fnac..so wht shd I do??how to kw whether malignant or nt??

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Abnormal Thyroid values are related to this. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the follow-up. Answer to your queries: Abnormal thyroid profile level is related to this lesion. Low uptake of FDG in PET scan alone cannot differentiate between Benign and malignant. As you have mentioned the size of lesion is 0.6x0.6 cm. This size is too small for FNAC. There are two options for you: 1. Wait for 3 more months and then have USG of thyroid again. If size has increased, go for FNAC, else regular follow up will be required without any treatment. 2. Discuss with your treating doctor about the FNAC of the surrounding Lymph nodes which are seen in USG. It may provide the findings. Hope i answered your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.