What are the criteria for reporting hypersegmented neutrophils in a male patient?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
what are the criteria for reporting hypersegmented neutrophils in a male adult patient having Hb of 14.7 gm%? Should anyone report such neutrophils in an asymptomatic person ? I am a pathology MD student. Thank you!!
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
I dont see why wouldnt anyone report it? It can be found even if HB is normal because this is an early sign of megaloblastic anaemia. But , only more than 3% of hypersemented neutrophiles is considered as abnormal finding.