What are the changes that occur in the sense organs at the age range 60 to 90?

Question
please list the changes that iccur in the sensorgans as ranging in ages from the laet 60's to some healthy 90 year olds.
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 2 hours later

I would request few additional details from you to give you a better suggestion.

Please do not mind to answer these

1. Are you talking about these changes in male or female?
2. Is it related to oral cavity only?

Awaiting for your reply.

Dr.Gunjan Gupta

Follow-up: What are the changes that occur in the sense organs at the age range 60 to 90? 5 hours later
um, i want to know these changes in male and female.

I also want to know list the changes that iccur in the sensorgans as ranging in ages from the laet 60's to some healthy 90 year olds (include cavity).

Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 36 hours later

Thanks for your reply.
Our sensorgans are-
1. Ear
2. Eye
3. Nose
4. Oral cavity/tongue
5. Skin

In general age related changes are slow and gradual. I haven't heard of any scientific data which has documented the changes age wise. However we do know that in general both the anatomical structures and physiological function decline with age. Anatomically there is gradual structure changes due to reduction in the body's ability to regenerate. Areas are affected by both external and XXXXXXX factors altering the original anatomy of the body organ.

Functionally the general changes that are known to occur as follows:
1. EAR - Reduction in hearing capability (presbycusis) is the common occurrence. Few also have difficulty to maintain balance.

2. EYE - Vision impairment happens due to cataract, refractory errors, retinal degeneration and many other factors.

3. Nasal and tongue functions are affected. Reduced taste and difficulty to identify taste can occur. They changes are influenced by reduction in memory and other brain functions. Further loss of teeth restricts the type of food consumption, thus many elderly find soft and bland diet palatable.

4. SKIN - Senile xerosis (drying) which is the most common occurrence reduces its ability to detect touch, vibration and pressure. They are no longer able to protect body to minor infection especially if body resistance is lowered.

These are the most common changes that are known to occur. Apart from these other changes can also happen due to associated morbidity.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any specific queries.

Dr.Gunjan Gupta