What are the causes for irregular periods ?

Question
Hi i have an ireguler period and i have not came on in a month or two mabe three but i had slight cramps and spotted for three day and it was only when i wipe now that im not spottng my arm has been aching i also have body ach and nassia since befor the spotting i throw up for reasons unknow more then once also befor spotting
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 35 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Irregular periods can be indicative of hormonal imbalance due to any underlying uterine or ovarian abnormality as ovarian cysts(PCOD), PID, cervicitis etc.
If the periods have been missed for the first time and you have a history of sexual contact then it can be indicative of pregnancy.

Other than pregnancy PCOD is the most common cause of irregular period in young females and it requires appropriate treatment as it can cause fertility issues in the long run.

Since it has already been months for the periods I will advise you to kindly visit a Gynaecologist for complete pelvic examination to rule out the exact cause. You might require investigations as USG scan and Hormonal work up which would help in the diagnosis and then start the appropriate treatment.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up if any.

Follow-up: What are the causes for irregular periods ? 3 hours later
My period where coming every month for awhile and then i notce one day that i havent had one in a while and then i throw up once or twice then i would fell ok and my nipples wohld hurt which would happen if i would be comeing on my period but i never did and i have theses little white bumps on my nipple i know i probuly should not try to popo them but i have ounce befor and a little white dot came out what i would like to know is what thatt may be

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 11 hours later

Thanks for the follow up query.

Irregular periods definitely are due to some hormonal derangements going on in the body.

Regarding the sore nipples that can be in pregnancy, mastitis, fibrocystic disease etc.

White discharge from the nipples when squeezed is sometimes common during different phases of the reproductive cycle but kindly do not squeeze them as it can lead to infection and injury.

The discharge being normal or abnormal can be decided after evaluation though most of them are not serious.

Your symptoms could be suggestive of pregnancy even.Consider doing a Urine HPT to rule out pregnancy.

If that is negative then consider visiting a Physician for detailed evaluation.

Hope this helps!