What are reasons for severe pain under right ribcage?

I am a 29 year old male with severe pain under my right ribcage. I have had X-rays, c scan, blood tests and nothing has shown up. My Doctor put me on medication to see if its internal shingles. It seemed to work for a week but now the pain is back. This has been going on for 3 years but has gotten much worse this past couple of months. I am waiting for an MRI.
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Acid peptic disease needs to be ruled out too Detailed Answer: Namaste Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day I would consider two probabilities in your case 1. Acid peptic disease 2. Gall bladder pathology like Chronic cholecystitis Acid peptic disease may only sometimes present with pain abdomen. Other symptoms like nausea, bloating, post food fullness, vomiting may or may be not there. It requires upper Gastrointestinal endoscopy for confirmation. It is not normally picked up by X-ray, CT scan or MRI. Gall bladder pathology is less likely, as it would have been picked up by CT scan. I normally do ultrasound scan on empty stomach to know the gall bladder it's full in fasting state and followed by repeat scan after having fatty meal- normally the gall bladder should have contracted after food. Lack of contractility would warrant further workup. In my opinion I feel MRI is less likely to reveal any gross pathology which has been missed by CT scan. I wish you a happy and healthy life. I would be happy to help you if you need any further assistance Take care Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS,MD