What are chances sickle cell disease in child if both parents are AS genotype?

Iam AS and married to AS. What do i do if our first issue turn out to be XXXXXXX And what do we do to prevent the trummer of SS?
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 28 hours later
Brief Answer: Please explain AS? Detailed Answer: Hi, AS could mean Ankylosing Spondylitis. It can also mean Aortic Stenosis. It would be better if you can provide abbreviated forms of AS and XXXXXXX to help me answer this question. Awaiting your reply... Regards
Follow-up: What are chances sickle cell disease in child if both parents are AS genotype? 1 hour later
I mean the geonotype AS
Answered by Dr. Prasad 37 hours later
Brief Answer: Treatment is individualised based on the needs.... Detailed Answer: Hi, From what I understand you are talking about Sickle Cell Disease. Since both of you couples carry the gene, the chances of Sickle cell homozygous state also known as sickle cell anemia are 25%. That being said, there is very little any medical treatment can do to prevent or lower this 25% chances. The options available to you are: 1. You can choose for prenatal diagnosis. Tests such as amniocentesis / chorionic villous sampling can be done to study the genotype of growing fetus. Results of the test will allow you to take informed decision. The test has it's own set of fetal complications which can be discussed with the treating doctor. 2. Tests on fetal blood / cord blood can be done after birth. If result reveal homozygous state (SS), then the next line of management involves regular follow ups, regular hemoglobin level monitoring, prophylaxis to prevent infection, blood transfusion as and when required and an option to transfer bone marrow. At this point of time, it is difficult to give you a unique / individualized treatment options since we cannot be able to predict or change the way your offspring would be born. However I recommend you to use cord blood banking service if by God's grace you are child is born as Normal individual (25% chance) or with Sickle cell trait - AS genotype (50% chance). Hope this helps. Good luck!