What are chances of MRSA transmission when in close contact with MRSA patient?

hello, I am currently at the hospital visiting my Dad. I have been visiting him for the last 4 days. I was not informed until today that my Dad has MRSA. He has pnuemonia, urinary tract infection and blood infection. During my visits I have held his hands, face and kissed his forehead. I have used germ killing foam a lot while here at the hospital. I have no visible symptoms. I would like to know whether I shoud get tested to see if I have contracted MRSA is there anything I can do now to prevent the infection from forming? I have read about nose oitments...etc.
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: MRSA by just contact can spread but not infect Detailed Answer: Thank you for asking! I am Dr S Khan and i would like to help you with your concern for MRSA transmission from your father. XXXX i want you to know that MRSA though a widespread disease and nosocomial (hospital acquired infection) but common from patients to patients only through the health care providers due to contact like gown, stethoscope etc. So attendants and visitors don't get it they just transmit it from one patient to another. Staph aureus has a residence in nasal area as they like a colder place but to get it to infect you it needs to be in your system and that is possible when blood or body fluids of patients get entry in the system and that is possible only when there is a wound etc. just shaking hands and kissing foreheads wont suffice. But still there is no harm in getting a surveillance culture for it as it is a common practice these days. More importantly you need precautionary measures like following -Use gloves and gowns while you visit your dad in isolated provate room. -Vigorously rub soap-lathered hands for at least 10 seconds and follow with thorough rinsing whenever there is visible contamination of hands by blood or body fluids or substances -Alcohol hand rubs containing emollients may be used instead of soap and water when there is no visible contamination of hands But as i said earlier these are transmissions from patient to patient by health care providers and attendants have minimum role in it. All it needs in your end is hand hygiene compliance. And yes you can use some prophylactically ointments for MRSA like fusidic acid and nezkil etc. Rest assured you need not to worry about the transmissions.Take care and dont forget to close the discussion please. Regards S Khan