What MRI test findings indicate Alzheimers or dementia?

Nov 2013

MRI impression 1, acoustic neuroma (MRI for that purpose) 2, Generalized cortical atrophy 3. Correlative symmetric to 3mm of cortical white matter hyperintens foci bilaterally. Asymmetric left corona radiata 9mm hypertense white matter focus. Am awaiting appointment with ear specialist for the AN. My concern is whether these other findings are indicative of Alzheimers or another type of dementia
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for posting your query. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have noted your MRI findings and your complaints. First of all, I would like to reassure you that these abnormalities are not of any concern, and they do not represent any serious abnormality. The acoustic schwannoma or neuroma, would need to be evaluated by a neurosurgeon, and then, a choice between radio-surgery (radiation therapy) or surgery for the treatment can be made. Generalised cortical atrophy is common at your age and there is no need to worry about that. However, your memory and other cognitive functions are more important, as decline in memory along with decline in other cognitive functions may indicate a diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease (AD). AD can not be diagnosed on the basis of MRI findings alone without any cognitive impairment. Hyperintense lesions suggest small areas of ischemia (lack of blood flow to brain), which are common in patients with high bP, sugar and cholesterol. You need to control these risk factors and take aspirin to prevent any brain strokes in the future. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: