Weight gain,always feeling hungry,over the counter medicine to stop hunger ?

I know i'm not hungary but never can get rid of the hunger feeling, I'm starting to gain weight, I eat all the time, is there over the counter meds that can stop the hungery feeling>
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Thanks for your query,

Hunger is a complex phenomenon with roots in both Central nervous system( Brain) and the stomach.

The stomach when empty goes for hunger contraction and the excess gastric acid both together give sensation of hunger.

Brain plays major part in this process .Taking as input the past experiences ,sugar levels in the blood ,smell of the food and the time rhythm ( Biological clock ) stimulates the excess acid output , contraction of the stomach leading to hunger.

The medications which reduce the appetite / hunger act on the brain altering the function of major part of it which take through the above actions , meantime the other parts of the brain are also affected/excited leading to undesired effects like euphoria, anxiety, increased libido, alertness, sociability, irritability, aggression, psychosomatic disorders, psychomotor agitation can also cause tachycardia, bradycardia, hypertension, hypotension, fever, diarrhea, constipation, blurred vision, dizziness, insomnia.And the drug is know for its addiction capabilities and serious withdrawal effects.

Hence doctors would not recommend medication to alter the hunger rather train the stomach and brain to controll the stimulus and prevent hunger ,Its gained well by practice.

The excess acid out put ion the stomach which is a part of hunger feeing can be reduced and that can be done by taking a Tab Of PRILOSEC 20mg once every day early in the morning before food this can help you in the effort.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Weight gain,always feeling hungry,over the counter medicine to stop hunger ? 9 minutes later
I take Pantaloc for stomach acid decrease, is Prilosec an anti acid? Is prilosec availible over the counter? Would interfere with the Pantaloc?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 12 minutes later
Hi again,

Thanks for follow up,

Prilosec is a better antacid compared to Pantaloc, I am sorry I missed that from your history.You can replace Pantaloc with Prilosec.Yes, Prilosec is an OTC.

Wish you Good health.