Wearing compression stockings for veinous insufficiency. Noticed swelling. Should I be concerned?

I have been wearing compression stockings for my veinous insufficiency, but today after a long road trip there is some swelling anyway. There are also a few small bruise spots on my legs. I am a day or two away from my period. Should i be concerned?
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see details.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir/ madam
1. Some degree of swelling may occur in normal individuals after prolonged journey and presence of compression stocking may at times be associated with small bruises points of excessive compression, however since you have venous insufficiency an examination to rule out venous thrombosis is warranted. This is especially true if you have associated calf or thigh pain, painful movement of lower limb, history of venous thrombosis in past or other predispositions to venous thrombosis like obesity, heart failure, diabetes, high blood pressure, smoking etc.
2. Please feel free to raise further query but do not forget to add your profile including age, gender, all medical disorders & current medication.
Waiting for your mail.