Was shot throw the side of arm, bullet nicked heart and lower lung. What were the chances of survival?

Pediatrician
Question
my nephew was shot throw the side of his left arm. the bullet nicked his heart and lower lung and exited the other side of his body. This happened around 12:30 a.m. and his autopsy said he died at 3:35 a.m. If he had been attended medically, could he have survived?
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 57 minutes later
Hi XXXXX,

Sorry to hear about your nephew
Mostly the injuries involving major and vital organs of the bodies are fatal, as in your nephew's case, the injuries involve heart and lung.
Mostly people having these injuries do not survive and they die either on spot or sometime later due to complications

dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Was shot throw the side of arm, bullet nicked heart and lower lung. What were the chances of survival? 9 hours later
What about cases like Officer XXXXXXX Lim from Los Angeles California?
Also, how could my nephew survive for about 3 hours if the heart and lung damage was major? Shouldn't he have died quicker. How could he live on for all those hours?

Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 15 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I can understan your concerns.

Officer XXXXXXX Lim was indeed very amazing and inspiring lady and intense medical intervention saved her, but in our clinical practice mostly patients suffering major organ damage do not survive.

Your forensic doctor can tell you the exact cause of death

In your nephew's case, may be damage to heart and lung was slowly decompensated
or it may be due to excessive blood loss.

Patients suffering from excessive blood loss leading to hypovolemic shock and organ failure are usually saved by medical intervention and blood product replacement, however if major organs are damaged then usually it is fatal, either immediately or after sometime due to development of complications.

regards

Follow-up: Was shot throw the side of arm, bullet nicked heart and lower lung. What were the chances of survival? 2 days later
So, if my nephew had received medical attention he may have (although highly unlikely) survived from his wounds. I have been reading about other cases where expert medical help as well as the victims will power had made all the difference.

Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 14 hours later
Hi again
Yes, there is a little chance that if he had received expert medical help at the spot immediately,he may have survived.
My deep sympathies with you