Was given a ZPak. Having heart fluttering and coughing. Suggestion?

Hello - I was given a ZPak on Monday of this week. I've taken it in the past and never had this problem. Beginning Wednesday, I began having what I call "heart fluttering"....I could feel it in my throat. It seems to occur when I take the medicine. I'm coughing a lot from the infection I had; it seems that the cough occurs when it flutters. will this go away? I've had a flutter like this whenever I've had too much caffeine but that's not very often. Of course, this has me scared so I'm sure that's making it worse. Any advice? Thank you so much! XXXXX
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I am can understand this can really be disturbing. I would like us to consider a few things first. Azithromycine has as known side effect irregular heart beat. This usually stops when the patient is taken off the drug. Believing you have stopped the drug, I think you heart beat should come back to normal in a couple of days. You really need not worry much, for it is a known reported side effect of this drug, and patients usually become normal when the drug is taken off.

One thing is we really have to be sure it was really due to the drug. The symptoms generally should be regressing as you have stopped the drug. If the adverse sensation continues to increase, you might need to consult your doctor for some other heart condition to be excluded.

Excessive coughing after taking the drug could either imply poor or inadequate response to the drug, or some other underlying condition. I strongly advise for now, you remain calm and simply watch. As I said, its not a rare side effect in patients that have taken the drug, and symptoms should regress within a few days.

Persistence for over a week of this sensation and cough should warrant a consultation with your family physician for reevaluation a probable specialist care. But for now, be good as I wish you the best of health. do not hesitate further questions if need be. Wishing you the best of health.

Best regards,

Bain LE, MD.