Was down with flu. Given Tamaflu and Zpac with steroids. Still not keeping good. What to do?

Dec 2012

I was dx with the flu in December after returning from a cruise, give Tamaflu then after still not feeling well was given a Zpac with steroids in Jan 2013 and then another visit in Jan, Levaquin with steroids. After I complained about being so exhausted he sent me for a sleep study where they discoverd that I have sleep apnea. Now I am on gababentin, Tramadol, Efexsor, Ritalin Traxadone, and restoril. I still feel like crap. My lower back kills me if I stand or sit too long, getting down my stairs in in the morning, my ankles have shooting pain, my neck is hurting constantly with any movement, I have a constant sore throat and feel like I still have the flu and my right shoulder hurts. I am afraid to drive because my reflexes are so slow. I keep forgetting things, like names & places, I can't concentrate and I feel like I'm losing hope. I am on short term disability which is causes financial worries to my already stress that I can't handle like I used to.
Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 5 hours later
Hello XXXXX,

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I am Dr. Bernard and I am pleased to be able to assist you.

Looking carefully at your description, I can summarize that you are suffering from:
- Rheumatic diseases
- Psychosocial disorder: notably depression and/or dementia, sleep apnea, chronic fatigue syndrome (these are the likely ones you might be presenting with)
- Probable side effect of current medications that might be exacerbating an underlying diseases condition.
In order to better manage your situation, you will need a multidisciplinary medical care. You will need first to see a rheumatologist (to manage your pain or joint/muscle diseases), then see a neuropsychiatrist and then an internist (if need arises). I believe that up till now, you must have gone through the best doctors who must have physically examined you and did or requested some laboratory tests (as I saw in your attachment).
Your condition will require that you exercise a lot of patience with your health care providers (at it might not be easy to remedy your situation) and also give them your trust to do their best.
You might also need to withdraw from taking some of those medications (of course with your doctor's opinion) so as to check for side effects or interactions.

I hope I was helpful and let me know if you have more specific questions.
I am here to help in my little way.

Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: Was down with flu. Given Tamaflu and Zpac with steroids. Still not keeping good. What to do? 1 hour later
He also ordered a MRI Brain/cervical spine. I have a follow up for results on July 18th. I have been having these symptoms prior to having the flu in December. I was dx with an intercostal rib sprain in October 2012and depression & anxiety in February 2012 when my Mother was dx with colon cancer. Also 10 years ago I left my husband of 15 years due to a very abusive relationship and moved to Utah from Louisiana to be far enough away. I am now remarried to a great guy so I'm wondering if I have PTSD from the 15 yrs of abuse.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 4 hours later

Thanks for updating,

Well it is good to know that your doctor is running all the necessary tests to get to know what is causing your symptoms.
Yes it is, possible that you might be suffering from PTSD from the abuse but it is can not be concluded as of now (even though you have been suffering for more than 30 days) as other physical affections need to be completely ruled out like rheumatic diseases and/or drug side effect.
You might also require physical therapy to relief you of your pains.
Also there what can help you is that, you may decide yourself at home to list down all of your symptoms one after another, then try to identify if it actually is a problem that posses you problems with your quality of life. If yes, then it needs to be solved or you need to work towards remedying the situation. You may practice some meditation or yoga (that might help).
You will need to be patient for your results to come out with something more conclusive.

Hope this was more helpful and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah