Ask a Urologist   »  

Was diagnosed with Prostatitis. Tip of penis red. Had oral sex. Yeast infection or trichomonas?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question
about 3 months back I was diagnosed with Prostatitis. I was given Cipro then Bactrim over the next 7 weeks or so.
Seemed to be getting better, but I keep having more issues
The tip of my penis is red also right underneath is red and irritated. I also get a sharp shooting pain at the tip of my penis.
It does not hurt to pee, but it hurts/burns after i finish

I was tested for Gon / Chlamydia and those were neg (tested twice)

Doc thought maybe it was ayeast infection and gave me some cream a few weeks back. It doesnt really seem to help at all.

I am ashamed to admitt that I did participate in oral sex with someone. I am a man and so was he! From what I heard, you cannot catch Trich from oral sex????

What should I do???
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 5 hours later

Your present symptoms do not suggest Trichomonas and yes, it is commonly transmitted through female genital tract, hence less likely in your case.

From your history the more likely possibilities are either a mucosal injury and irritation post oral sex or a fungal infection or a urethritis/balanitis (inflammation of penis) resulting in doctor /preferably Dermatologist for thorough evaluation and if possible conduct few tests like urine routine, complete blood count, blood sugar (advisable in recurrent infections) for confirming diagnosis and starting appropriate treatment.

Till then you should try to maintain adequate genital hygiene, drink plenty of water and do warm sitz bath twice daily, avoiding intercourse preferably till the lesion heals.

If local applications of antifungal are ineffective you might need oral antibiotics/antifungal as per confirmed diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Was diagnosed with Prostatitis. Tip of penis red. Had oral sex. Yeast infection or trichomonas? 9 hours later
Thank you for your reply!

I do not have any type of lesion. It is more like a red rash type area right on the underneath of the tip of my penis.

What about the sharp pain? What would that be caused from?

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for the follow up.
In that case the cause seems more likely a mucosal irritation post oral sex which also can cause pain due to the sensitive nerve endings of the penis being irritated or stimulated.
But nevertheless any superadded infection can coexist especially fungal infection so my advise would be the same as mentioned earlier.
Hope I have answered your query.
Please press the accept button if you have no further queries.
Regards.