Warts on face, neck and under arm removed after laser treatment. Started reoccurring. Permanent cure?

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
Question
Hello Doctor,

I have few warts on my face, neck and under arm. Two years back I have taken laser treatment to remove the warts. However, they have formed again. Is there a remedy for this?

Thanks & Regards,
XXXXXXX.
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Souvik Adhikari 4 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,

Thank you for your question. Laser treatment is an effective modality for warts but the problem is that warts can recur in many cases following laser therapy because the virus is not destroyed completely. While applying laser, sometimes we have to keep in mind the scarring that occurs with intensive laser therapy which can therefore lead to survival of the virus at the edges of the laser application field which can subsequently lead to the formation of recurrent warts.
There are a variety of options for recurrent warts. While you can consider laser therapy again (pulsed XXXXXXX lasers are better than CO2 lasers in this regard), it might not prevent you from getting these warts again. If you ask me, I would prefer going in for surgery for recurrent warts where I would be able to curette the warts under direct vision and then consider application of salicylic acid at the margins so as to provide the best possibility of preventing recurrence. Additionally, this gives me the best control over the scars that would form from resection of the warts therefore providing a twofold benefit.
Again, it is upon your healthcare provider to decide which would be the best treatment modality for you who would examine you personally and then provide you with his or her suggestions.
Please let me know if you have additional questions.
All the best!

Dr. Souvik Adhikari
Plastic & Cosmetic Surgeon
Kolkata

Follow-up: Warts on face, neck and under arm removed after laser treatment. Started reoccurring. Permanent cure? 2 days later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you please provide the details of the surgery you have suggested, earlier. Is this cost effective. In how many days I can return to work after the surgery.

Whether this is covered as part of insurance.

Please clarify.

XXXXXXX.

Answered by Dr. Souvik Adhikari 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

As I have already mentioned, it is curettage or removal of the wart tissue with the help of a curette or a spoon like instrument under direct vision. This would be followed with the application of salicylic acid at the edges to remove any residual warts. The recovery is extremely quick and you would be able to work the next day after surgery. This, in my opinion, is the most cost effective procedure for recurrent warts. Yes, this should be covered as part of your insurance.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Adhikari

Thanks.

can I have an appointment.

Hope, this would be covered as part of corporate insurance.

XXXXXXX.

Answered by Dr. Souvik Adhikari 7 hours later

I practice in Kolkata therefore if you are interested you can contact me at one of my chambers. Yes, this should be covered as part of corporate insurance.

Dr. Souvik Adhikari

Follow-up: Warts on face, neck and under arm removed after laser treatment. Started reoccurring. Permanent cure? 18 hours later
Thanks for the response.

I am from Bangalore. Can you suggest any specialist from Bangalore.

Also, what would be the appropriate expenses.

XXXXXXX.

Answered by Dr. Souvik Adhikari 1 minute later
No, I'm sorry, I do not know anyone from Bangalore and therefore am not apprised of the expenses there. Here, in Kolkata, it is pretty cheap.

There are reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area. WWW.WWWW.WW

Dr. Adhikari