Wart on cheek. Transferred during cheek rubbing? Avoid touching it?

To whom it may concern,

I have a very tiny wart on my cheek on my face.

Should I be worried about passing it to my girifriend if my cheek rubs against her skin?

Should I warn her about it so she can take steps to avoid touching it?

It's very tiny and I'm not sure if I should just ignore it until it goes away or tell her and make sure she doesn't touch it and risk getting it.

Thank you
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 12 hours later
Thanks for posting this query.

This is a tricky situation. Going by the description of the lesion, it appears that you have a plane wart. You are doing the right thing by opting NO TREATMENT, as plain warts are known for spontaneous resolution.

Coming on to the risk of your partner being infected- this is very much possible. But mind you, the risk is not very great. You know that HPV(human papilloma virus) (the virus that causes warts) is present everywhere and all of us come in contact with it at some time or the other.

It depends on the person's local immunity whether an infection will manifest itself clinically or not.

So I do not see an increased risk of infection if your partner come is contact with your wart because if not this, she will be exposed to HPV from some other source.

And a plane wart is not very infectious in itself.

So my advice would be to let her know that you have a wart. But it is not absolutely essential to avoid contact with it.

I hope I have answered your query.