Ask a Urologist   »  

Want medication for urinary infection

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have urinary infection and want to know the medication
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Hello ,
I assume that you have been diagnosed as a case of Urinary XXXXXXX infection ( UTI) by your doctor after undergoing specific tests like Urine routine and culture test .
If not its advisable to undergo the test because the treatment for a UTI should be designed for each patient individually and is usually based on the patient's underlying medical conditions, what pathogens are causing the infection, and the susceptibility of the pathogens to treatments.This may take about three days so the doctors often begin treatment before the pathogenic agent and its antibiotic susceptibilities are known, so in some individuals, the antibiotic treatment may need to be changed.

The treatment includes a antibiotic to cure the infection and analgesics or other supportive therapy if patient has pain or burning urination.
The following antibiotics are used to treat UTIs:
1.Beta-lactams, including penicillins and cephalosporins (for example, Amoxicillin, Augmentin, Keflex, etc given as twice to thrice daily dosage.
2.Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole combination antibiotic (for example, septran)
3 Fluoroquinolones (for example, Cipro, Levaquin, and Floxacin) but these should not be used in case of sulpha allergy.
4. Tetracyclines (for example, tetracycline, doxycycline, or minocycline) used most often for Mycoplasma or Chlamydia infections.
5.Aminoglycosides (for example, gentamycin, amikacin, and tobramycin) used usually in combination with other antibiotics to combat severe UTIs.
6.Macrolides (for example, clarithromycin, azithromycin, and erythromycin), used more often with some STD-caused urinary problems.

So it would be advisable you give me the details of your test reports or consult your doctor for a thorough assessment and investigation before starting any specific treatment.
Meanwhile you can try the following for some relief,
1. Increasing fluid intake: This may work by washing out organisms in the tract.So try to drink plenty of water (10 glasses) daily.
2. Not delaying in emptying the bladder (urination): This has the same effects of increasing fluid intake and helps the bladder reduce the number of pathogens.
3.Taking vitamin C: Vitamin C may function to increase urine acidity to reduce bacterial growth.
4.Eating cranberries or blueberries or drinking their unsweetened juice: These berries contain antioxidants that may help the immune system, and some investigators suggest they contain compounds that reach the urine and reduce the adherence of pathogens to human cells.

Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.