Want interpretation of kidney function tests. Have diabetes

what is a gfr of 47 1.2 creatine 25 microalbumin in urine 34 bun 4.9 potassium for 70 yr old women with diabetes
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query.

These are kidney function tests meant to evaluate the functioning of kidneys
BUN is blood urea nitrogen and is slightly high
Potassium levels are normal
Microalbumin levels are normal in the range 30 to 300 mg albumin/day.
Diabetic Nephropathy is preceded by microalbuminaria
Creatinine levels are normal but upper normal
GFR (Glomerular filteration rate) is said to be normal if above 90
Since it is 47 it is stage 3 of chronic kidney disease according to GFR method and accompanied by mild evidence of renal impairment(in your case slightly high BUN and slight microalbuminaria)
Remember that eGFR is only a screening test and,especially in mild renal impairment,may err on the side of pessimism
Ideally you should be on inj. Insulin instead of oral anti diabetic drugs as these drugs should be avoided,once there is evidence of renal impairment

I hope to have answered you and any query is welcome
Thanks and best of luck
Follow-up: Want interpretation of kidney function tests. Have diabetes 5 hours later
do you think my kidneys are bad do you think i will have to go on dialysis i have been diabetic 28 years i had open heart surgery 5by pass i do have hbp controled with metroprol i do tak water pill lasiks sssssssssssssssssssssplsuse gucophage and glyplizide i am very scared i am a above knee amputee to blood clot 1 month after surgery i worry more than any one i knows do you see anything good about my conditionmy blood test are from 11/2011 thank you

Thanks again for following up.

Just relax and don't worry. Your kidney functions are compromised and not exactly very bad.

This situation indicates that from now onwards you have to have a meticulous control of your blood sugar and hypertension.

Do repeated serum creatinine and microalbumin levels in urine every 4 to 6 months.

Avoid nephrotoxic drugs like gentamycin and amikacin; Avoid insulin instead of oral anti diabetic drugs might benefit you.

In addition you may be put on small dose of Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor or Angiotensin receptor blockers since you are having slight microalbuminuria. This will help to prevent or slow down progression to macroalbuminuria and XXXXXXX diabetic Nephropathy.

If proper treatment and meticulous control of blood sugar and hypertension is achieved the need for dialysis may be delayed for a long time, otherwise deterioration of kidney functions will take place and dialysis will become necessary.

The good thing about your tests are that your BUN, creatinine and potassium are normal.
Points of concerns are little microalbuminuria and slight reduction in GFR.

I hope to have answered your queries. Do accept the answer if you do not have any further queries.

Thanks and good luck.
Follow-up: Want interpretation of kidney function tests. Have diabetes 11 hours later
thank you doctor i do not know what those 2 drugs are you said not to take should i take aspirin or tylenol also i was on ace inhibitor but it rases my potassium so i had to come off do you really think i can avoid dialysis
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
The two drugs not to be taken are Glucophage and Glipizide.
You can take paracetamol as pain killer
You can try anti hypertensives of class ANGIOTENSIVE RECEPTER BLOCKERS(ARB's)
Like losatan or telmisatam
Dialysis depends upon preservation of your kidney functions which depends upon the various factors I mentioned earlier.
If your kidney functions don't deteriote any further,you may not require dialysis but if they deteriote,then dialysis becomes necessary.
Hope I answered all your questions. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries. Wish you Good Health
Thanks and good luck.