Ask a Urologist   »  

Vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, blood in urine. What do I do?

General Surgeon
I think I had food poisoning. I start vomiting monday night. I threw up many times. A few times I felt like I should make myself throw up so I did. I know that wasn't wise but being honest. The last time I threw up was tuesday morning around 9am. So about 7 hours of nausea/vomiting. I went on a popsical diet for a day, with water. I didn't pee as much as I thought I would, I noticed. My mother thought I would of had diahrea too but I didn't until wednesday, but not major. It is now friday 4am and I just pee'd some blood with my urine, still not peeing as much as I think I should be. What do I do? I am 29 years old by the way, looking for advice. Wait until I can see my doctor in another 6-7 hours or go to the ER? Is drinking water a good idea if my kidneys are not flushing it?
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 22 minutes later
Do you have a rough idea of how much urine you're passing? You should urinate at least 600 ml/24h. Average amount of urine per 24 h is about 1500 ml.
Vomiting and diarrhea may cause acute renal failure what leads to serious wastes accumulation in the blood. That is why, if your urine amount is lower than 600 ml per 24 hours, you should go to ER to have at least urea and creatinine checked. Blood in the urine is definitely not a good sign and we would need to run some tests to find out the cause.
Drinking water is a good idea if you have no legs swellings.
You should be also checked if you are dehydrated (your blood pressure and pulse rate should be checked). If your blood pressure is low and pulse rate is high, it is a sign of dehydration. If you have no swelling in the legs and you do have dehydration, you should be having as much water as you can.
Hope this will help
Feel free to ask further questions
Follow-up: Vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, blood in urine. What do I do? 32 minutes later
I have no leg swellings. I have not been urinating as much as you say I should be.

I was going to go to sleep and call my doctors office in 4 hours and insist to see them right away, as opposed to an ER trip.

I have no back pain, but my right side kidney area feels like it may be slightly swollen, is it minor discomfort.

I pee'd urine/blood twice in the past hour and it burned slightly. The blood was red, not brown.

I am in no actual pain, just stressed out now.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 33 minutes later
In my opinion you should visit your doctor as soon as possible. Probably 4 hours wont change anything but we do not know exactly how advanced your renal failure is. Blood in urine and burning during pee means that you are developing Take care