Vomiting bile after Appendectomy. Colostomy suggested. Reason?

hello, My boy friend underwent an appendicectomy last friday. They kept him waiting for hours, Finally he had the op and he was in theatre for 5 hours. They discharged him on the sunday. He was still unwell. He was re-admitted on Monday . he had vomited over 3 litres of Bile and was very ill. His Bowel is silent. They then admitted that it had ruptured. and there had been complications After 3 days of monitoring they say they may have to take him back to theatre. he mentioned a colostomy. Is this possible? I have never heard of this after an appendicectomy but I gave up nursing 10 yrs ago.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Radhika 13 hours later

I have gone through your query. Since there was rupture of appendix and he has vomited bile, they are chances of infection. So the best option would be Colostomy.
yes, this is possible.

Also bowel is silent meaning there is obstruction and it has persisted for too long or the bowel has been significantly damaged, bowel sounds decrease, eventually becoming silent.

Colostomy, in simple terms, is surgery to remove all or part of the colon. Colostomy is a surgical procedure that brings one end of the large intestine out through the abdominal wall. Stools moving through the intestine drain into a bag attached to the abdomen. It is used to treat many conditions including colon cancer, Crohn's disease, intestinal obstruction.

There are a many reasons to perform a colostomy:

Infection of the abdomen, such as perforated Diverticulitis or an abscess.
Injury to the colon or rectum (for example, a gunshot wound)
Partial or complete blockage of the large bowel (intestinal obstruction).
Rectal or colon cancer.
Wounds or fistulas in the perineum -- the area between the anus and vulva (women) or the anus and scrotum (men).

A temporary colostomy may be used when the part of the colon (typically the lower section) needs to heal, such as after trauma or surgery. In this case after Appendicectomy.

After the colon is healed, the colostomy can be reversed, returning the bowel function to normal.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up.