Vomiting after eating food. Taking Pediasure. Liver and blood tests normal. History of constipation. Treatment options?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My Daughter is almost 2 and half and she has this eating and vomiting problem since she was 1 years old. At 1 years old she completely stoped eating and anything she ate she vomited. Doctors said this was fine until she began to loose weight. She was put on Pediasure....then the weight and growth instantly picked up, but vomiting continued almost daily, several times a day. For a short while (about 3 months), closer to 2years old she began to eat well and vomiting significantly reduced, and it even stoped for about a month. Then she began to vomit in her sleep almost nightly. 1 occurence almost nightly about 1 to 2 hours into her sleep. We stoped giving her milk/pediasure any kind of foods before bed. Her pediatrician sugested gravol about an hour before bed as well. Instead of milk we allowed her to fall asleep with water. Vomiting in her sleep stopped compleetely. We also stoped giving her Pediasure compleetely at this point. Pediatrician did liver tests and other blood tests, which all came back good. Also, she has chronic constipation since she was about 2 weeks ald and she has been on Polyethylene Glycol 3350 since 8 months because of this. Sudenly again, my daughter is unable to eat and even chew or swalow her food since about 2 weeks ago. She vomits instantly, sometimes minutes later. She does feel hungry and does wantto eat but she cant. She gets very upset when she begins to feel uncomfortable eating and she will not let us take her food away, because she wants to eat. But then she vomits everything she eats. Her diet requires blending and pureing foods, no fibery foods, no peels such as the one that can be found on grapes. baisicaly she requires foods that my 8 month old son eats. Even then she vomits.

I dont know what to do and what could be possible causes of this. Her pediatrician feels that this is fine.

Please let me know anything you can to help my daughter.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

Chronic vomiting in a child needs to be investigated thoroughly to rule out any gastrointestinal pathology like gastroesophageal reflux disease, stricture or any partial obstruction, food allergy or a metabolic disorder. I assume that your pediatrician has not found any significant findings on examination and investigations, so we might have to look at more uncommon causes like cyclical vomiting syndrome, migraine, allergies or behavorial disorders like fussiness .

I would like to know the details of any investigations if done previously. Please upload the reports in the “Upload Reports” section on the right.

It would help me in narrowing the possibilities and suggesting you appropriate steps.

Awaiting your response.