Vasculitis, vision changes, cognitive deficits, lupus. MRI showed white matter. Taking coumadin. What is the reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have had vasculitis in the past. I had an MRI which showed multiple areas of signal abnormailities involving supratentorial white matter in the frontal and parietal regions. At the time I had vision changes, severe memory problems and had severe cognitive deficits. My rheumatologist only treated me with cellcept. I have had trouble with a DVT this year and am now on Coumadin. No one seems to know what they are doing - who should I see? I do have a history of lupus?
Posted Wed, 30 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
An MRI showing signal abnormalities in white matter might not be clinically significant in the absence of any related signs and symptoms or cognitive deficit. In your case, these changes might be related to vasculitis you had.
Since you had a cognitive deficit and vision problems, you need to consult a neurologist for a proper evaluation and further treatment to retard these changes.

DVT and lupus are the associated problems which are already being taken care of by your rheumatologist.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.