Vaginal spotting after menopause. Should I be concerned?

Mar 2016

I have not had a period is about 2 or 3 years. Yesterday I had a dark brown vaginal discharge (one time). Today I noticed just an extremely light trace of brown when I used the bathroom. Do I need to be concerned?
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. S Patra 50 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

According to your clinical presentation, you are in post menopausal age group (55 yrs) and in this stage, brown vaginal discharge may indicate underlying uterine pathology. Another thing, if you are taking hormonal medication (estrogen) in long duration for post menopausal symptoms, then it may cause above features.

Therefore, we have to rule out the possible causes of post menopausal bleeding or brown discharge in this context. These are as follows:

1) Endometrial or cervical polyp.
2) Endometrial atrophy (thinned out) or hyperplasia.
3) Endometrial cancer- more risk with postmenopausal bleeding.
4) Others- vaginal infection, adenomyosis, certain medication etc.

Here, complete physical examination including pelvic/ speculum /colposcopic exam is needed to rule out underlying pathology.

Possibilities can be narrowed by several investigations like blood test for thyroid profile & clotting factor abnormality, Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS) scan, Pap smear test to detect cancerous changes, vaginal swab test for infection and endometrial biopsy (may be needed).

Complete treatment depends on underlying etiology. So please consult with your gynecologist for proper guidance through investigation, physical examination and medication with suggestive measures to be taken.

Follow some basic measures that will be helpful:

1) take healthy diet with iron supplements and avoid salty/ spicy food stuff.
2) drink more water and eat more XXXXXXX vegetables & fresh fruits.
3) avoid stress/tension by XXXXXXX breathing with adequate sleeping.
4) maintain genital hygiene properly and check up for BP in regular interval.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Vaginal spotting after menopause. Should I be concerned? 8 minutes later
I just noticed that now I have more spotting and it has some red in it. It seems to be following the pattern of the periods I had before menopause. Does this mean things are more serious? I have called my gynecologist and left a message with the nurse.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 11 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

Yes, post menopausal bleeding is always taking as a serious event and several investigations are required to rule out possible underlying risk factors. Sometimes early treatment is necessary in case of endometrial carcinoma. Therefore, you should contact or take an appointment to your gynecologist at the earliest.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care yourself.

Dr Soumen