Vaginal bleeding. Done with pap smear test. What do you mean by area of lucency within endometrial cavity?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014
Excellent

Radiologist
Question
I wanted to ask about "area of lucency within endometrial cavity.
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lucency can mean little fluid in uterus

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read your query in detail.

You have got pap smear and ultrasound scan pelvis done for vaginal bleeding.

The pap smear results sre nin specific. Ultrasound scan shows a fibroid. The left ovary is seen but right one is obscured.

Lucency in endometrial cavity is applied for any fluid seen in the lumen of the uterus. This can be watery and may represent altered blood. It is unlikely due to fresh bleeding.

Please do send in complete report details if desired.
I hope this answers your query.

Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: Vaginal bleeding. Done with pap smear test. What do you mean by area of lucency within endometrial cavity? 5 hours later
FINAL DIAGNOSIS:

Endometrium, currettage: Scant detached strips of endometrial and endocervical epithelium, and atypical squamous metaplasia which appears to be reactive in abundant fresh blood clot. No evidence of hyperplasia or neoplasm.

Can you expand on the final diagnosis, please?

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in with an update.

1. There is no hyperplasia or neoplasm:

This means there are no features of cancer or increase in growth of number of cells in the endometrium sample.

2. Scant detached strips of endometrial and endocervical epithelium, and atypical squamous metaplasia which appears to be reactive in abundant fresh blood clot. No evidence of hyperplasia or neoplasm.

This means there is little cells of the epithelium lining from endomentrial lining and endocervix. These samples show atypical squamous metaplasia which is more reactive in nature and there is lot of fresh blood clot.

Please do not worry as this is confirmatory for a bleeding due to dysfunction in uterus and there is no cancer.

Treatment depends on the amount of bleeding, associated pain and age of the patient.

I hope this answers your query.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek