Vagina really sore and tingling, used a cream. Feels hard and lumpy. Done something wrong? Is it natural?

Infertility Specialist
Question
Tonight my vagina was really sore and tingling, I had to put cream on to help prevent infection of the hair focal, and I felt inside and it feels all hard and lumpy, I only recently start to feel inside my own body and never felt this before I am 20 years old not sexually active I am scared senseless I'm extremely scared have I done something wrong to course this? or could it be natural.
I finished my period around a week ago
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
I would like to reassure you that there is absolutely no problem with your body. Please stop thinking like that. This is a common phenomenon in women who are experiencing physical, mental or emotional stress or some lifestyle changes. If you have been experiencing these symptoms for a long time, it could be due to some minor infections in vagina which cause this sensation. Hence, I don’t think there is any need to worry if it has occurred once or twice.
Normally, the vagina does have a corrugated surface and has folds, ridges, and bumps, known as vaginal rugae, which are more prominent during a woman's reproductive years, which allows the vaginal canal to expand in times of sexual intercourse and delivery. These rugae are similar to the ridges you feel when your tongue touches the roof of your mouth.

If the soreness and tingling persists, I would suggest that you consult a gynaecologist who can examine you and prescribe appropriate therapy. This can occur due to a fungal or a bacterial infection and therapy can be customized accordingly.
What you are experiencing is a normal phenomenon and you don’t need to worry about it.

Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Dr.Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Vagina really sore and tingling, used a cream. Feels hard and lumpy. Done something wrong? Is it natural? 6 hours later
Thank you for your advice, I am seeing my GP on friday so I will tell him Would he sent me to the hospital as I have a major problem with going to the hospital I am under the care of Mr XXXXXXX who is my head Gyn dr, So would my GP suggest getting appointment to see him sooner rather than later?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 44 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

You request your GP that you need to take an appointment with Gynecologist whenever possible. There is nothing emergency as I can see. So if you are too aprehensive you can request for an appointment sooner. Even if you get late appointment also is fine. Don't worry.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Vagina really sore and tingling, used a cream. Feels hard and lumpy. Done something wrong? Is it natural? 56 minutes later
Is there anything I should or shouldn't do until I see my dr on friday?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 4 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

There are no special precaution needed. Just be relaxed and have normal life style till you see your doctor on Friday.

Thanks again for submitting your query.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Do accept this answer if all you queries have been answered.