Using vaseline as a lubricant during intercourse, trying to conceive. Does vaseline lower sperm effectiveness?

Sexologist
Question
does vaseline kill off sperm?sex
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Follow-up: Using vaseline as a lubricant during intercourse, trying to conceive. Does vaseline lower sperm effectiveness? 7 minutes later
me an my fiance are trying for a baby and we have to use vaseline i am just wondering if it is ok to use or if it kills of sperm

Answered by Dr. A. CHAKRAVARTHY 3 hours later
Dear Friend,

Thank you for your query.

If you are planning for pregnancy, it is better to avoid Vaseline.

In fact, Vaseline does not kill sperms, but can interfere with the motility of the sperm. Sperm should have favourable cervical mucus to swim to reach ovum. Vaseline can interfere with this and can indirectly cause infertility.

Hope I cleared your query in full. I am still available for follow up queries.

If you are satisfied, Kindly accept the answer.

Dr A CHAKRAVARTHY