Using betadine gargle for sore throat. Can sore throat be cured completely?

I have been using betadine sore throat gargle but missed one treatment, I found that my sore throat returned. My question, does the anti viral kill or just delay the progress of the infection. Is it better to just let the infection take it's course and recover more quickly in the end
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Betadine is an antiseptic and can kill micro organisms including bacteria, fungi and viruses.
So it would temporarily help in the eradication of any viral pathogens that are in the throat at the time of that you gargle however the effect is only transient and the symptoms will return as the virus returns.
THis is why it is used on multiple occasions, to keep the infection at bay.

The infection will run its course , with or without the bethadine, this would just ease some of your symptoms. In general most sore throats lasts 3 to 7 days.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions