Using Viagra for lasting sexual performance. Can smoking pot harm sexual performance?

Psychiatrist
Question
My question is, can smoking pot harm your sexual performance? If so what can you do to resolve it? Before I started smoking pot I was fine at having sexual intercourse I have now been smoking for a couple of years and last time I went to have sex I didn't last even 5 mins. But there was a while between sexual encounters too. I was wondering what I can do to fix this problem or if there is anything else that can help me in the long run to last longer without having to use Viagra and that? Thanks for your help.
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Drug Abuse

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 35 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Smoking pot can indeed adversely affect your sexual performance. Firstly the 'smoking' part is well known to cause blood flow problems to the sexual organs as well as alter the hormone levels in the body, leading to sexual dysfunction. Marijuana, by itself is also known to cause nervous problems which can affect sexual performance.

Now, the first step in recovery is stopping marijuana use and smoking in any form. Additionally you can take an anti-oxidant supplement regularly, which can help rectify any cell / nerve damage due to the above substances. Alter your diet to reduce fatty or oily foods and increase the proportion of green vegetables and fruits. Specific foods like almonds, cashews, walnuts, avocados, olives, cheese, etc. are known to boost sexual performance. Regular physical exercise (especially aerobic exercises like swimming, cycling, etc., can help improve the blood flow)

For your specific problem of premature ejaculation, there are remedies in the form of sexual / behavioural techniques as well as medication.

The "stop-start technique" or "squeeze technique" have been proven to be successful in reducing this hypersensitivity and increasing the ejaculatory time.

In the stop-start technique, the penis is stimulated (by sexual intercourse or by masturbation) till a point when you feel close to orgasm. At that point, the stimulation is stopped for some time and after a small gap, it is continued. This process is repeated repeated a few times.

In the squeeze technique, the penis can be stimulated by hand (by masturbation or by your partner) till a point when you feel close to orgasm. At that point, the lower part of the head of the penis is squeezed tightly with the index finger and thumb around for a few seconds till the erection decreases. Then the stimulation is restarted and the process is repeated a few times.

Regular practice of these techniques will help reduce the "hyersensitivity" of the penis and delay ejaculation.

There are also certain medication like Dapoxetine, which have been specifically approved for the treatment of premature ejaculation. But, I would advise you to keep this option as the last resort, after trying all the about mentioned remedies.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist