Ask a Urologist   »  

Used latex cock ring. Felt urge to urinate and started bleeding. What is causing this?

Psychiatrist
Question
Well, this is embarrassing. I just tried on a pretty snug latex cockring that also wrapped around my scrotum. I was semi-erect, and while wearing it, needed to urinate. Zap of pain inside my penis followed by blood. Took the ring off. Bleeding stopped pretty quickly...pain when away and I could urinate ok. I'm assuming I broke a blood vessel....?
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

From the description of your symptoms, it is likely that you have sustained a urethral injury. The urethra is the inner urinary passage and is a delicate structure. The latex ring must have caused a compressive trauma to the urethra, probably leading to a small mucosal tear - which is the cause of the bleed. It is unlikely to be a major injury because you say that you were able to urinate well after that (and I'm presuming the urine was clear and not blood-tinged). So, as of now it doesn't seem to be a serious problem.

However you have to watch CAREFULLY for the following symptoms:
- pain or discomfort while passing urine
- having to strain more while passing urine
- dark-coloured urine
- any swelling in the penis (due to leaking of blood or urine into the surrounding tissues)
- fever (could be indicative of a local infection)

If you have any of the above symptoms, then seek immediate medical attention. Also keep drinking plenty of fluids and avoid masturbation for a few days.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist

Follow-up: Used latex cock ring. Felt urge to urinate and started bleeding. What is causing this? 3 hours later
Well, five hours later and I'm still bleeding. You know, it has occurred to me in retrospect that it felt a lot like passing a kidney stone a few years back. Thoughts?

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 6 hours later
Hello again,

Kidney stones are unlikely to cause coninuous fresh bleeding (they can cause a reddish discolouration of urine, but fresh bleeding is unusual). Fresh bleeding from the urinary passage, almost always indicates a urethral injury. Even if it was a kidney stone being passed out, still the bleeding must be due to a urethral injury during the passage. Moreover, your symptoms corelate with the application of the ring and you also had a sharp pain at that time, which makes it more likely to be a urethral injury.

I would strongly advise you seek urgent medical attention for this. The reason is that urethral injuries, if not attended to promptly, can often lead to urethral strictures. If you are feeling embarrassed to give your history about the application of the ring, then maybe, you can say that you just hurt yourself against the corner of a table or something like that.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist