Used cocaine heavily. Noticed blood from nose when blowing. What is wrong?

Oncologist, Surgical
Question
Hi I used cocaine heavily for 3 days, that was 3 days ago, now when I blow my nose blood comes out. What is wrong with it and how can I help it?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Drug Abuse

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 49 minutes later
Dear Sir,

Sorry to hear about your problem but this is a common problem encountered after cocaine snorting. The condition resolves once snorting is stopped. If it continues for a few days after that, you should consult an ENT surgeon as sometimes cocaine can cause damage to the nasal mucosa and vessels. If the bleeding is excessive, just pinch your nose for 3 minutes and breathe through your mouth. This will take care of the bleeding for the time being.
I would strongly recommend that you give up this habit, as it can lead to more complications in the future.

Hope you get well soon.

Follow-up: Used cocaine heavily. Noticed blood from nose when blowing. What is wrong? 7 minutes later
I have read online that I should not blow my nose as it prevents the blood vessels from healing? Also should I use a moisturiser or saline solution to prevent them from drying out?

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 2 minutes later
Dear Sir,

Blowing does increase the bleeding and it is best to avoid it. You can use a moisturiser or saline to keep the mucosa moist but importantly you need to stop using cocaine.

Please feel free to clarify any other query.

Follow-up: Used cocaine heavily. Noticed blood from nose when blowing. What is wrong? 12 minutes later
I am never going to touch it again after this! What methods would be best to heal the blood vessels? Do you think there could be any permenant damage from this binge or is it just a temporary thing?

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 6 minutes later
Dear Sir,

The healing of vessels will take time and there is not much you can do to hasten that. Snorting cocaine a few times does not lead to permanent damage but continuous exposure is harmful, therefore it is best avoided.

Hope you get well soon.