Used OTC anti fungal spray for yeast infection. Have dry patches and flaky skin under pubic hair. Concerned

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I had what appears to be a yeast infection (diagnosed). Used prescription cream. A month later it had cleared from inner thighs but my skin under pubic hair had dry patches and very flaky skin. I started using OTC anti fungi spray to all areas and now my scrotom is scaly on one side and is extremely dry and hurts a bit. Another reason I started using the spray is I had some places just above and beside pubic hair that were dry and seemed not to get back to normal. They were dry and white looking. I've been treating this for months now. Any help? Thanks
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
You are most probably suffering from tinea Cruris ( fungal infection) as per your description .
After clinical diagnosis and microscopic confirmation, tinea cruris is best treated with a topical allylamine ( terbinafine etc or an azole antifungal like ketoconazole or clotrimazole ).
Glucocorticoid steroids sooth the itching and when used along with anti-fungal agents, prevents infections caused by secondary bacteria.

In case you have tried all these OTC treatments and still have no relief then it would be best to consult your doctor for prescription of a course of oral antifungal agent like Fluconazole .

Meanwhile you can try the following for some relief.
Cleaning with plain water and applying petroleum-based jelly to the infected part reduces the burning & dry sensation.
Applying a mixture of warm water and XXXXXXX cedar vinegar or lemon juice helps in restoring the skin layer and also suppresses the smell.
Avoid tight clothes that may result in heavy sweating and keep the infected area open as it helps in fighting the itching.
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.