Use of Oval L to delay period

Can I use oval L for delaying my periods ? will it work if it is started a 1-2 days before period date ? what shd the dosage be ?
Posted Thu, 10 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later

Ovral - L is not recommended for delaying the periods. It can be used continuously for 2 months without a drug free interval to have a period free interval of 2 months.

To delay your periods for a few days, synthetic progesterone preparations are recommended like medroxyprogesterone acetate which should be started at least five days before the expected date of your periods as these medicines take at least 72 hours to produce their complete effect.

You need to continue these tablets until the date for which you want your periods to be postponed.
I would advise you to consult your gynecologist who after ruling out all the contraindicating factors will prescribe you the agent best for you.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.