Urine multi stix test showed elevated leukocyte and urobililgen. Suggest?

Question
Did a urine multi stix 10 test this morning all readings were fine but slightly elevated 70 + leukocyte s and high urobililgen - indicator went dark pink / purple ? What could this be ?
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It indicates possibility of liver disease.

Detailed Answer:

I am dr XXXXXXX and will try my level best to address your concerns.

High results of URIBILINOGEN suggest possible liver diseases or increased red blood cell destruction (such as hemolytic anemia). Elevated Leucocytes is a sign of infection / inflammation in urinary tract.

It may be an anomaly, I would advice you to take the same test again. If sill have same result I would like you to visit near by physician who can order routine urine and blood test to isolate the cause.

Thanks for the query and feel free to contact me in case of further concerns.

Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Urine multi stix test showed elevated leukocyte and urobililgen. Suggest? 1 hour later
How long do you suggest before I redo the test and is there anything special I should do before redoing the test ?

Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do it tomorrow at same time. (24 hrs later).

Detailed Answer:

You need a sterile container and use mid stream urine, I mean while collecting sample please pee out some initial urine part, collect the next part and avoid the end portion of the urine.

Thanks for the query. Feel free to contact me if you need more help.

Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Urine multi stix test showed elevated leukocyte and urobililgen. Suggest? 4 hours later
Just checked the expiry date of the multistix on the container and the expiry date was September 2012 - could that be causing a false reading ? I did have a full blood test November last year - and all results accross the board were good. Could this high reading be a sign of something otherthan liver damage ? Many thanks

Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, there are chances that the result is erroneous.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back, yes there are chances of false reading, due to expired strips. Please stop using expired strips.

Its good to know that your blood work was normal last November.

Now the UROBILINOGEN may be due to liver disease or even Red blood cell destruction (hemolytic anemia), but i will not worry much at this time. I would advice you to repeat the urine test with new strip, or if possible to have blood work redone since its almost one year since last blood work.

Thanks again, Feel free to contact me if you have any more concerns.

Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX