Ask a Urologist   »  

Urinalysis shows 10,000- 50,000 cfu/ml e coli. Need antibiotics?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
urinalysis shows 10,000- 50,000 cfu/ml e coli
do i really need antibiotics?
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need to take antibiotics.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your urine analysis suggests presence of E-Coli suggesting active infection due to gram negative organisms.

You have been taking antibiotics post surgery of appendectomy and fade up with side effects.

Since you have active infection in abdomen it is advisable to take antibiotic to combat infection to avoid further complication .You can take H2 receptor (antacids) like Pantaprozole to minimize side effects of antibiotics .

Please get your Urine culture done to find the antibiotics to which these organisms are sensitive to so that you can take appropriate antibiotics.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Urinalysis shows 10,000- 50,000 cfu/ml e coli. Need antibiotics? 14 hours later
I don't understand your comments. what is fade up with side effects? I do not have active abdominal infection at this time and my wbc is 7200 as I told you.
The side effects I fear are not affected by antacids.
The amount of e. coli present is low and well under 1000,000 cfu/ml

You have not told me anything that makes sense

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Comments based on side effects of Ciprofloxacin

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.

My comment is based on the statement you made about side effects of three doses of Ciprofloxacin and your desire to discontinue the same.

Your WBC count is within normal range suggesting that your abdominal infection is well under control with intravenous antibiotics that were given to you during post operative period,

However in view of presence of E-Coli in urine analysis it will be better to take antibiotics as a prophylaxis for a period of one week.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Urinalysis shows 10,000- 50,000 cfu/ml e coli. Need antibiotics? 2 hours later
cipro side effects were not gastrointestinal

would keflex work instead if necessary

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take Norfloxacin

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing again.Keflex (Cephalexin) acts against gram positive organisms and is generally prescribed in Ofloxacin in E-Coli infection.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Urinalysis shows 10,000- 50,000 cfu/ml e coli. Need antibiotics? 3 hours later
you aren't listening to my comments
I won't take that class of drugs they are all like cipro and have too many major side effects that's why I asked about keflex or other options

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can take Nitrofurantoin.

Detailed Answer:

Hello
Thanks for follow up.
You can take urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin which is mild and do not have side effects.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.