Upper abdominal spasms, chronic back pain, heartbeat spasms, cannabis

I am a 55 year old male overweight-who has had daily upper abdominal spasms for the last 30 years-I have seen every doctor under the sun-had brain MRISetc etc-have been dx with IBS, GERD had gallbladder removed-also have chronic back pain but only for 1 year connected to some disc issues The spasms started when I smoked cannabis-and suddenly I had diarrhea-rapid heartbeat-spasms spaciness-I have coped with this-I exercise dail-exercise can make it worse as can certain food alcohol-Help!
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later

Daily abdominal spasms suggests that they are most likely abdominal cramps related to indigestion.

You have reported that you have IBS and GERD symptoms. The abdominal spasms may be associated with these conditions too. It may not be possible to find a permanent cure, but you can take the help of regular medicines to lead a normal life

A heating pad or soaking in a tub of warm water may ease your pain. Over-the-counter antacids, such as Tums, Maalox, or Pepto-Bismol, also can reduce some types of abdominal pain. Activated charcoal capsules also may help. Apart from this, a strict diet modification - light oil free, non spicy food to avoid, regular and timed meals along with lifestyle changes are absolutely necessary.

Physical exercise, yoga, meditation and other alternative medicine practices have been beneficial to some people. You may include them as treatment options.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: Upper abdominal spasms, chronic back pain, heartbeat spasms, cannabis 37 hours later
The intensity has me concerned and the fact that they are spasm that are made worse by certain things but not better despite diets etc-when you say changes what do you mean lifestyle-I swim everyday what alternative methods?--Shouls I get any testing done etc?---I am on celebrex for my back will this make symptoms worse---what type of dr should I consult with I have only see my primary????
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

IBS may sometimes be associated with really hard cramps of the abdomen. You are doing a good amount of exercise daily but remaining stress free is also equally important in bowel disorders.

As nothing has come up in MRI, any other investigations are not likely to help you.

Still you can test yourself for the presence of H. pylori as the gastric ulcers produced by them also sometimes cause severe abdominal cramps.

Yes, Tab.Celebrex is known to cause gastritis and Gastro-intestinal side effects. So this could also be a contributory factor for your symptoms.

It would be better to consult a General Surgeon as regards to your condition who will address you concerns better.

Wish You Good Health.