Upper abdominal pain accompanied with burning and swelling of gall bladder and duodenum. Effect?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Age : 40
Height : 5.1"
Weight : 76 kgs
I have upper abdominal pain, with burning
I have swelling of gall bladder and deodenum, but no gall stones what would be the effect?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 5 hours later

I would like to have a few more details pertaining to your history. As it would help me suggesting you better.

1. Is this your first episode of such pain?
2. Is this pain worsoned or relieved after food ingestion?
3. Does any fatty or oily XXXXXXX meal cause bloating sensation and worsening of pain?
4. For how long has this been happening?
5. Have you had jaundice in the past few days?
6. Based on what investigation was a finding of swollenn gall bladder made? Are you diabetic?
7. Has the color of stools been blackish after the pain symptom sarted?
8. Are there any other investigations done?

The report you have sent is of EUS which does mention that you distended gall bladder pressing on Duodenum. But, it does not state the status of the XXXXXXX lining of the stomach, duodenum and esophagus.
If possible get abdominal ultrasound done.

kindly provide me the answers to my questions, so that I can guide you further.
Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Upper abdominal pain accompanied with burning and swelling of gall bladder and duodenum. Effect? 17 hours later
1. Yes this is my fist episode of pain.
2. Pain increase after food ingestion
3. yes
4. 1 month
5. No Jaundice
6. Ultrasound scan of the abdomen
7. No
8. Blood investigation done
WBC count - 0000
Blood urea - 26.0
AGOT - 72
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 12 hours later
Hello again Mrs XXXXXXX

Thank you for your prompt response.

From your history and investigation reports it seems to be a case of flatulent dyspepsia due to gall bladder dysfunction namely cholecystitis.The commonest cause of this problem is the presence of stones or sludge in the gall bladder. In a classical form of the disease the gall bladder wall is thickened.

As per EUS report the gall baldder is distended causing compression on the surrounding organs. Cholecystitis without stones is seen in diabetics.

You need to curtail fatty foods for the time being.

Repeat the USG abdomen for a focussed assessment of the gall bladder with specific reference to sludge which is confirmed by moving the patient during usg and observing the movement of particulate matter in the gall bladder or for stones confirmed by post acoustic shadowing.

If the above are found you are a candidate for cholecystectomy that is removal of the gall bladder.
If usg does not confirm the above then a course of antibiotics will suffice for the time being.