Unwell, sore throat, headaches, nausea, tiredness. Why has the neck swollen?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been feeling unwell for a week, sore throat, headaches and nauseous. Those symptoms are finally starting to ease but I also have a tender swollen neck (one side only). It aches terribly. I think it fluid build up. I am exhausted. I am resting and drinking lots of water. Anything else I can do to speed up the recovery process?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
After a sore throat infection the tender swollen neck is possibly due to the swollen neck glands. usually the swollen glans subside spontaneously within 2 weeks after the infection subsides.
For an immediate symptomatic relief, you can start having tablet Ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin) 400mg, one tablet after breakfast and dinner for three days.
Doing a hot fomentation will also help in relieving pain.
If the swelling is gradually increasing in size along with fever then it must be examined to rule out any pus collection. Proper antibiotic treatment is also needed for a complete cure.
Do consult your physician for physical examination and proper antibiotics in case the symptoms are persistent.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.