Unprotected sex, norlevo emergency contraception, brownish blood discharge. Pregnant?

My last period was on 17 jul - on 25 Jul (after my period) i had unprotected sex, three days later I took norlevo emergency contraception......yesterday on 04 Aug there was a brownish blood discharge - followed later by more reddish blood - today it is gone....could I have been pregnant?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 26 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Norlevo is an Emergency pill and since it contains high doses of hormone it can lead to breakthrough bleeding.

It seems that you experienced that only yesterday.

Some of the common side effects of its use are nausea,vomitting,abdominal pain,breakthrough bleeding and delayed next period.

The next period might also be delayed by a week and it can take 2 to 3 cycles for the hormonal levels to be regularized so consider using protection from pregnancy.

Right now just wait for the next periods.If they do not start even after 10 days of expected date consider visiting your Healthcare Provider for evaluation.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query.
Follow-up: Unprotected sex, norlevo emergency contraception, brownish blood discharge. Pregnant? 25 minutes later
Thank you doctor,

I should mention that there was clots in the discharge as well.....

Given the facts what do you think the chances could have been that I was pregnant before drinking norlevo?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 4 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up

If you had taken the Emergency pill within 72 hours of intercourse then possibility of pregnancy is rare as it prevents fertilization and implantation.

The breakthrogh bleeding is quite similar to normal periods and should not be present for more than a week.

If it is very much prolonged then consider visiting a Physician for evaluation.

Take Care!