Unprotected sex, have delay in periods. Do not want pregnancy. Suggest?

hello I had unprotected sex with my boy friend April 7, I usually get my period about 28 of every month and I dont want to get pregnant. Please what typy of medicine will i need?
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 minutes later
Since your periods were expected on April 28th and there are no periods till now, the chances of pregnancy are there. You need to test your urine with a highly sensitive pregnancy test kit available over the counter at all the pharmacies.
If the test comes positive ( two lines) then you will need to terminate the pregnancy.
If the pregnancy is less than 7 weeks, medicines to abort pregnancy are preferred as the success rate is nearly 95%. Side effects include gastritis, diarrhea, vomiting, headache, etc. Medical abortion medicines have no effect on future child bearing. If the abortion is incomplete by medicines or if excessive bleeding occurs than need for surgical cleaning of uterus arises.
You can consult a gynecologist immediately who will do a serum beta hcg test (more specific than urine test) and a pelvic ultrasound to confirm or rule out pregnancy.

If pregnancy is ruled out and periods don’t come then the other causes may include hormonal imbalance or other medical conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland.
All of these can be treated with suitable medicines.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.