Unprotected sex, delayed periods. Pregnancy test negative. No bleeding after taking mifepristone and misprostal

Hi Doctor,

I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend this month. My dates were due on the 24th of Feb. Its due by over three days and I am still awaiting periods.

I tried the pregnancy kit test but the test showed a negative result. I had read that there are chances that pregnancy kits might not show the correct result in an early stage pregnancy.

I was very tensed and took mifepristone in the morning followed by misprostal (vaginal) in the evening. (i.e on the 27th of Feb).

However twelve hours have passed and I haven't had any bleeding. I am very confused now.

Am I pregnant or not? I have read that after taking Mifepristone+misprostal I should expect some bleeding. But I am yet to get any bleeding. Is it that I am pregnant and the medicines have not worked?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

I don't think you are pregnant. If you were pregnant and the test was false negative, the tablets would have caused bleeding.

These pills should not be taken till one is confirmed to have pregnancy.

In the present situation, I would suggest you to repeat pregnancy test and get an ultrasound examination done to rule out pregnancy for sure and other causes.

Do not worry. The chances of pregnancy to me look less likely. We can plan the management of other causes as the relevant tests are done. So do not hesitate to consult your gynecologist to streamline the tests.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any further queries, I will be glad to help you.

Follow-up: Unprotected sex, delayed periods. Pregnancy test negative. No bleeding after taking mifepristone and misprostal 36 minutes later
Thanks Doctor,

But then why have I missed my period ?
I will repeat the pregnancy test tomorrow morning and update you about the situation.

I have read that one can take only misprostal again after 4 days if there is no bleeding. Is it correct?

If my pregnancy test comes positive then should I repeat the course of misprostal only again after 3-4 days?

Thanks Again,

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 7 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
There are several causes of delayed periods like anaemia, hypothyroidism, polycystic ovarian disease etc
If the pregnancy test is positive, only misoprostol is not going to help. Other drugs also need to be taken. However, these are prescription drugs and I would suggest that you see your treating physician for the same.
Please get back with the reports.
Best wishes