Unprotected oral sex, cold, chest and back rash. Worried about HIV exposure due to bleeding gums

I recently engaged in unprotected oral sex with a partner of unknown status. I know oral sex carries a relatively low risk of HIV transmission, however given the seemingly promiscious nature of the person I was with and the fact that my gums bleed when I brush I am very worried I am at risk. About two weeks after this encounter I got a pesky cold then developed a rash on my chest and back as well as my foot. My foot was likely athlete's foot since I had prior rashes but the rash on my chest and back and the cold scared me a lot. I only put this person's penis in my mouth for like 30 seconds because I didn't like it but now I am worried I may have been exposed to HIV given my bleeding gums. There was precum but I cleaned it off before I put it in my mouth and never swollwed...HELP I am freaking out!
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
This can be categorized as minor exposure. But you should be careful in future with such encounters.
The cold and rashes on the chest and feet could be due to a generalised viral infection. You can take a good supportive treatment with plenty of warm fluids, steam inhalation, tylenol and rest with light easy to digest diet for a few days. Your symptoms are likely to improve over next 4-5 days.
To confirm that you have not caught the infection, you will have to wait atleast two weeks and then get yourself tested. You will have to then retest every 3 months for atleast 6 months to confirm that you are totally safe.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.