Underwent bypass surgery. Having breathing problem. Taking proper diet. Any complications?

Cardiologist
Question
Hi my mother underwent a bypass surgery three days back.. her bp and sugar are flucationg eg up and down also at times eg night she has having some breathing problems.. she is eating proper diet and also doing proper excerise according to physio , Please let me know if this is common or any complications
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your question with diligence.
After any bypass surgery first 24 hours are most critical. After that as the time passes the risk of any complications occurring decreases exponentially. This is day 3-4 and she is behaving like the patient is expected to behave after day 2 (operation is counted as day 0) so, I am sure she will recover completely. She is on the way to it. Good luck.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Underwent bypass surgery. Having breathing problem. Taking proper diet. Any complications? 4 hours later
Ok Thanks doc. The only concern i have is bp and sugar is going really high after some time it is coming down. what is the issue? also why is she facing breathing problem only at night?

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later

I assume she was hypertensive before surgery and if not frankly diabetic she might have impaired glucose handling mechanism. During the recovery process there is lots of body's defense molecule secretion which means adrenaline and nor adrenaline is released in the body therefore fluctuating and rising levels of both blood pressure and blood sugar. After major surgery the normal circadian rhythm (how the body behaves at molecular level during 24 hours is disturbed only to recover with time therefore respiratory symptoms are marked during night. Secondly, she would have been on ventilator for some time so recovery will take equal time. I do not see any apparent causes for worry if she is afebrile. However, you can discuss the respiratory part with the attending doctors also. Regards.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW