Underweight extremely. Tried all supplements, not helping. Dexa had adverse effects. Safest steroid for women?

hi this is XXXXXXX 36yrs female.,i am very underweight only 38kgs for an height of 5.1ft i am 36yrs.i have tried a lot of suppliments but of not much use.i dont have any medical thyroid and sugar tests are normal.,i took dexamethasone for almost a year.,i gained weight upto 15kgs in just 3 months but lost all the gained weight when i stopped it.its almost 2 years since i have stopped dexa.idint had any adverse effect while using it.thru internet i have learnt that oxandrolone(anavar) or deca durobolin or winstrol is an anobolic steroid that is safest steroid for women to gain permanent weight without any serious side my question is can i increase my weight safely and permanently by taking oxandrolone(anavar) for a short period of 2-3months.also kindly suggest any other medication through which i can gain weight safely even if it is only a side effect of a certain please suggest me a relatively safe medicine or steroid for weight gain in women
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 37 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I would like to emphasize that anabolic steroids with their inherent side effects are drugs which are used under exceptional circumstances under strict medical supervision of a medical consultant. They have severe side effects and I would strongly advise you to stay off these drugs.
As I believe that more information can help a physician help a patient better, I would request you to let me know the reason why you were given dexamethasone for a year. Dexamethasone causes weight gain due to water retention and not by causing an increased bulk of muscles/bones/fat etc. Hence, you have lost that water weight on stoppage of that drug.
For now, family history, diet chart, diet details, chronic nematodal infections, anaemia, anorexia nervosa, and many other common causes need to be looked into one by one. And this would need a concerted effort with a right doctor and tests. I am sure that your case will be treatable without any harmful anabolic steroids.
This way, the therapy can be aimed accordingly and normal weight can very well be possible with the right approach.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

I hope I have answered your concerns. I shall be available for follow ups.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.
Follow-up: Underweight extremely. Tried all supplements, not helping. Dexa had adverse effects. Safest steroid for women? 52 minutes later
thanks for you reply doctor.,but as i have already mentiond i do not have any medical conditions which i can say because recently i got my medical tests done under the instruction of a local endocrynologist here.,as regard my family history my mother is also extremely under weight but even she has no medical conditions.,hence the doctor whom i consulted told me that its a genetic factor that i am underweight and otherwise i am healthy.,its only a cosmetic wise i am pure vegetarian and my diet appetite is not that great that can help me put on weight.i eat normal food which can just help me maintain my 38kgs of weight.,hence i took a lot of protein and mass gainers as suppliments.i eat a lot of dry fruits everyday along with milk and bananas thrice a day added to my regular meals of 2 wheat chapatis and white rice for lunch and dinner and a south indian breakfast.i took dexamethasone by some friends instruction which i know was a very foolish kindly help me by giving a specific answer regarding oxandrolone or deca durobolin.,are these drugs XXXXXXX even for 2-3 months.,i have learnt that many female athletes take it for years together.,but i want to add up only 5-7kgs of weight.,kindly advice me some medications through which i can gain justb 5-7kgs that stays on.,kindly be particular about oxandrolone or decadurabolin.,i know anabolic steroids are XXXXXXX but what about oxandrrolone and decadurobolin.,because i have learnt that doctors give these medicines to anaemic,cancer or hiv patients to increase their weight.,kindly help me doctor
warm regards
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 3 hours later
Thanks for your reply.

Firstly, you have risked yourself by taking dexamethasone without a doctor's prescription. Anyway, do not repeat this again for your good.

Secondly, concentrate on your diet and include fats and carbohydrates. Discuss with an expert clinical nutritionist on consultation.

Oxandrolone and decadurabolin are not suggestive in your case and I personally do not think you fit into the indication of using those drugs. So, kindly refrain.

Rest is up to you. I would advise natural means for a genetic reason such as yours.

Wish you best of health.

Follow-up: Underweight extremely. Tried all supplements, not helping. Dexa had adverse effects. Safest steroid for women? 10 hours later
thanks for your reply doctor.,one last question.,can u plese advice me what all the tests i should undergo to know if i have any medical conditions.,kindly inform me in detail about the tests
warm regards.
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
The following is a list of the tests that would be required in the initial stages. However, further clinical correlation will be required to finalize the list of the tests that would be required.
a.     To rule out chronic nematodal infections, stool examination and endoscopy as required.
b.     A haemoglobin level will be required to rule out anaemia.
c.     A psychological and psychiatric evaluation is required to rule out anorexia nervosa.
d.     A dietary evaluation will be required to assess the dietary intake.
I would suggest that you XXXXXXX your general practitioner who will be able to take a detailed history and perform an evaluation.
I hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.