Undergone tubectomy surgery after having miscarriage. Surgery stitches are healed, but have bleeding. Normal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2013
Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I am 35 yrs old and recently a week back, I have undergone tubectomy surgery after having miscarriage. Now my surgery stitches have been healed, but I am getting light bleeding.

Is this normal..? If so, how long will this continue..?
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

So you have undergone tubectomy (week ago), and you are experiencing bleeding from the suture site (not vaginal bleeding).

If this is your question, its definitely NOT NORMAL.

Any woozing or discharge or bleeding from the suture site of an operated wound after 5 days of surgery is considered ABNORMAL.

The bleeding from the suture site in your case may be due to INFECTION or HEMATOMA collection.

If the infection is mild and not deep seated, it will resolve with appropriate antibiotics for a week.

If its due to hematoma, it has to be decompressed by evacuation.

There is no room for WAIT AND SEE policy.

I suggest you to consult your treating doctor and discuss the issues.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help for any more clarifications.

Good day

Follow-up: Undergone tubectomy surgery after having miscarriage. Surgery stitches are healed, but have bleeding. Normal? 10 hours later
It's not from the suture site, but from the vagina..Suture site is normal.

Please answer for this.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 8 hours later
Hi, thanks for getting back.

As you have not mentioned the SOURCE of bleeding in your first question, it has led to confusion.

OK, Doesn't matter.

Vaginal bleeding is a normal finding after a miscarriage/abortion/normal delivery. This is due to the effect of the circulating hormones in the body. Generally this bleeding will stop within 2 weeks (maximum). As you are not having heavy bleeding, there is absolutely nothing to worry.

If you encounter heavy bleeding, then you need to see your treating doctor.

Hope this information will take away your anxiety.