Undergone minor lower eyelid surgery. Face is swollen on that side and red with lots of bruises. Suggest the treatment?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Hi, I am a 56 year old female that had very minor lower eyelid surgery done by an Oculoplastic Specialist on Friday morning. It was for a very tiny white headed cyst. He told me that I would not even know he had done it several hours later. Well the aftercare sheet warned of some swelling. In no time my face is swollen huge on that side. I am very red with lots of bruises. But the swollen is still very bad even today. I have used lots of ice, but nothing seems to help reduce it at all. It is even worst today than yesterday. I look and feel awful. Help me please.
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 49 minutes later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
The tissues around the eyes tend to swell very readily in response to surgery. However, as you mention that the swelling is getting worse and you feel awful, I am concerned that this is not the normal post-operative course. There is a possibility that there may be infection developing. A fever would be an additional sign of infection.
I would suggest you see your surgeon for reassurance that the operation is healing normally.
I hope this has helped. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,