Undergone ECLIA method for HIV 1 & 2 antibodies test, result negative. Should I undergo the test again?

Hello Doctor,

Close to 4 months (3 months 25 days in exact) after a risky sexual exposure, I have undergone ECLIA method for HIV 1 & 2 antibodies test. The result came back Non-reactive (0.03).

Do I need to undergo any re-test further or can I be assure that I am out of the risk?

Other tests taken after - number of days

26days - HIV 1 DNA PCR Qualitative Analysis (Not Detected) - sample tested on 29th day
26days - ECLIA HIV 1 & 2 antibodies (Non Reactive 0.03)
91 days - HIV TRIDOT - Non Reactive
115 days - ECLIA HIV 1 & 2 antibodies (Non Reactive 0.03)

Other tests:
After 2 months - VDRL, HbsAg, HSV 1 & 2 antibodies
After 3 months - VDRL, HbsAg, Hepatitis C
After 3.5 months - HSV 1 & 2 antibodies
After appr. 4 months - HbsAg
Complete Urine examination is also done couple of times.

All came back either negative or non reactive.

Doctor suggested all these tests as I acquired Molluscum contagiosum at my genitals. Now, MC also came down and its spread also got stopped after about 4.5 months of initial observation.

Please provide your opinion doctor.

Posted Thu, 1 Aug 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Prasad 6 hours later

I have noted all your test results. HIV ELISA test after 3 months is almost conclusive. Late seroconversion (where HIV results become positive after initial negative results) is very, very rare occurrence.

It is good to know that you have been investigated for syphilis, herpes as well as hepatitis. Absent antibodies to all these infections is a positive note. Hence you can consider yourself free from HIV, syphilis, herpes and hepatitis.

I am glad to know that your concerns with Molluscum is also resolving. Continue to live a risk free sexual life. Avoid risky exposures in future. You need not test again.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Best Regards