Undergoing follicular study and taking HcG injection. What will happen if a dose of injection is skipped?

hi doc, my egg is 17mm on 22nd day. I am undergoing F-study. My doctor says, i can take HcG injection on 23rd day i.e when egg is 18mm approx. What if i do not take the injection? My husband is out of station and would return around day 27th day of my cycle. what would be the state of the egg then? Can we try to conceive then?
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can postpone to next cycle.

Detailed Answer:

Ovum can be released usually within 24-36 hours after the hCG injection and the ovum has a maximum life of 24 hours. Calculating by this, if you were to take the injection on the 23rd day, you are likely to ovulate on the 24th day or the 25th day and the ovum would live up to the 25th day or the 26th day at best. If you are supposed to XXXXXXX your husband on the 27th or 28th day, it would be too late for conception. So, you can postpone your trial for the next cycle and just allow nature to take course for the time being. It is essential to plan your schedule properly so that you can maintain intimacy during the fertile days if you want an earlier result.

Hope your query is clarified. Please contact for more information. I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Undergoing follicular study and taking HcG injection. What will happen if a dose of injection is skipped? 17 minutes later
Hi Doc, is it possible to take HuG injection after 2-3 days i.e on 25th or 26th day of my cycle?
also, what would happen if i do not take the injection? when is the egg expected to rupture with the pace it is going now.
In my f-study, i had 12 mm follicle in Left ovary till day 18th. on day 22th, it was 17mm and endometrial thickness: 8.5mm. What is the expected time of its release?
Also, i had my hormone tests done before the f-study. They were as follows:-
FSH: 5.18
LH: 6.82
S Prolactic:6.71.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Delayed injection is not advisable.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Delaying the hCG injection is not advisable as there is a risk of chromosomal abnormalities developing in the embryo if conception occurs.

If you do not take the injection, you may or may not ovulate. If the follicle ruptures spontaneously after reaching maturity of 18 mm size, natural ovulation can occur.

At the pace at which it is growing, the follicle may rupture on the 23rd or 24th day. The endometrial thickness is also good enough.

Your hormone levels are within normal limits.

Hope your queries are answered. Please get back for more information. I will be ready to help.