Uncontrollable anger and shouting at others. How to overcome this?

Hello Doctor,
I am person who always gets angry and shout at people.
Please suggest me some ways to overcome this.
Posted Wed, 27 Jun 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Certain diagnosable mental disorders can cause intense anger or rage, according to the National Institute for Mental Health (NIMH). These include:

1)     Borderline personality disorder
2)     Intermittent explosive disorder which is associated with anxiety, depression, alcoholism and substance abuse
3)     Schizophrenia

My suggestion is to consult a psychiatrist and get yourself evaluated. You may need to get started on selective serotonin reuptake inhibiotors (SSRI). You may also require antipsychotic drugs, mood stabilizing drugs and cognitive behavior therapy. Cognitive behavior therapy stresses on concentrating on reality check and explains pointlessness of fantasies and irrational thoughts to the sufferers. This is done by psychiatric sessions with a psychiatrist. Sometimes support groups may also help in the healing process.

In addition to these, here are some of the other treatment options which you can follow:

1)     When you have anger, breathe slowly through the nose and talk to your family and friends.
2)     Do not take caffeine of alcohol at night just before going to bed.
3)     Indulge in yoga and meditation to calm your mind.
4)     You can also indulge in progressive muscle relaxation which is useful in anxiety by alternately tensing and relaxing the muscles.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.